Navigation

Search This Site

1515 University Ave

1515 Logo1515 University Avenue is a multipurpose student center located on the Corner, adjacent to the UVA Grounds. With significant student involvement in the planning and design, the newly renovated space promises to become a dynamic center for student life on the Corner. It includes performance and rehearsal space, a game and lounge area, a gourmet dessert cafe, student art gallery, meeting rooms, and space for students to socialize and relax. The building is a natural extension of the University community, inclusive for all students, and alcohol-free. 1515 is managed by UVA’s Office of the Dean of Students/Newcomb Centers & Services with programming coordinated by the student-led University Programs Council and staffing provided by student employees.

Planned and designed by students for students, the 15,000-square-foot space features:

  • Late night events and activities
  • Performance and rehearsal space
  • Free games
  • A student art gallery
  • Crumbs, a gourmet dessert café
  • Bring your own food!

A homelike atmosphere on the second floor will offer nooks and spaces for:

  • Advising sessions
  • Informal meetings
  • Study
  • Meditation
  • Studio, and more.

For information on reserving space in 1515 visit the Event Planning website.

For updates and more, follow @uvaodos on TwitterFacebook and Instagram.

View the renovation project site.

The Cavalier Daily posted a great article about 1515 here.

1515 Building History

  • 1896: Minor House was built.
  • 1927: Commercial building was added to front of Minor Court House, completely removing the front façade. A pressing and cleaning business occupied one of the 3 rear storefront spaces facing Minor Court Alley. In the two storefronts facing University Avenue, Jameson’s Bookstore occupied the east half and The Cavalier Diner occupied the west. Boarding rooms occupied the second floor.
  • 1944: Cavalier Diner closed. The party wall was removed and Jameson’s Bookstore expanded to encompass the large first floor space we know today.
  • 1957: Jameson’s Bookstore was replaced by Lloyd’s Rexall Drug Store.
  • 1983 & ‘84: Lloyd Building is listed on the Virginia Landmark Register and National Register of Historic Places as part of the Rugby Road – University Corner Historic District.
  • 1994 – 2014: Lloyd Building was converted into Student Book Store.
  • 2014: Student Bookstore closed.

Construction

1515 Front of Building First Floor Jeffersonian Windows Grand Staircase Installation First Floor Jeffersonian Windows
1515 Front of Building 1515 Outside Renderings on Front of Building  First Floor First Floor Jeffersonian Windows
Grand Staircase Installation Basement Refurbished Cedar Plank Walls taken from ceiling in Basement Cedar Planks Reused in Basement Gameroom Area
Grand Staircase Installation Basement Refurbished Cedar Plank Walls taken from ceiling in Basement Cedar Planks Reused in Basement Gameroom Area
Third Floor Studio View Third Floor Studio Third Floor Studio Rendering Building Rendering; Side view
Third Floor Studio View Third Floor Studio Third Floor Studio Rendering Building Rendering; Side view

Floor Plans

Basement

 

First Floor

 

 

Second Floor